Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Fits of Rage

Galatians 5:19-20
The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions

Before Nic came along, Henry and I said to each other that no matter what happens we will not use our children to vent out our frustrations or anger.

Last week, Nic was slow in starting his homework and that got Henry really mad. That’s what I mean by squeezing blood from the rock. It’s stuff like that that really hits us to the roof. Meanwhile, I was trying to take keys out of a little drawer and I dropped it suddenly and it all came crashing to the floor and the drawer actually split open! In the midst of anger, Henry looked at me and I scowled at Nic and then, before I knew it Nic got a beating! Poor guy, it wasn’t even his fault and Nic was terrified by that incident.

It’s mostly been like that previously and terribly painful for us doing homework with Nic. At the end of the day, we felt that rewarding Nic works better but still it does not work all the time and outburst like this still happens I pray only occasionally as we learn to trust God more and more. I have seen God's hand upon my children as we turn to Him. Even his music teacher commented just last week that Nic is stable now. Whew! Praise God!

We should never discipline our children when we are angry. I have learned a new way to overcome anger and I wanted to share with you. I’ve also shared this with Henry and I pray he will practice it more. It’s very simple. It’s in the bible.

1. Using our spiritual authority under Luke 10:19
”I have given you authority to trample on snakes and scorpions and to overcome all the power of the enemy; nothing will harm you.”

AND
2. casting our cares unto the Lord in 1 Peter 5:7:
“7Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.”

AND
3. Look at things above and PRAISE God Isaiah 6 "Holy, holy, holy is the LORD Almighty; the whole earth is full of his glory."

First, we use our spiritual authority to bind and break the anger within us IN JESUS’ NAME. Then, we cast the anger, the worry, the anxiety unto the Lord and say “I cast them all unto you Lord, You take them Lord, in Jesus’ name”.

It’s terribly painful at first. Just saying “I cast you out anger in Jesus’ name!” is still painful but the more I say it and then cast them all unto God and then break out in praises to God “Hallelujah, hallelujah” sets me free and the anger no longer resides in my heart.

As I hugged Nic and said sorry to Nic for what we have done, I said out aloud “I cast you out anger in Jesus’ name. You get out now from this family in Jesus’ name! I loose the anointing of the holy spirit upon this family and God’s love, God’s peace, God’s joy flow into Nic right now right now”. Soon, he was happily doing his homework, no squeezing blood from a rock and 2 pages of completed homework which cheered Henry up all over again.

All glory to God! Really, it is not possible to get over anger without God. We just accumulate them in our heart waiting for them to explode one day. Yes, it can even manifest into cancer together with a whole host of other "open doors". My dad said “It is easier said than done”. But I learn that when I cast my cares unto Him who loves me so much, He is ABLE to deliver me out from the pit of anger.

Ephesians 3: 20

Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us

1 comment:

  1. amen to homework! i am facing the same struggle every day...that's why i sigh so much nowadays! maybe i should cast out my sighing!!!

    ReplyDelete