Thursday, February 11, 2010

Nutrition or God

I have some very wise colleagues who know much in keeping healthy. During those months when I was coughing I joined them to eat raw lettuce and tomatoes. I used to cringe at eating salad and told myself 2 times a week is enough! One dear friend and colleague of mine turned away from Christ and went his way as he felt is the right way according to his post modernism world. He steered his own ship, followed the vegan diet with fleeting mutton and bak kut the now and then (?!). Yes, that’s all part and parcel of post modernism world (pick and choose what you want to believe in). He meditated, went for meditation camps and laughing camps, he wanted to go to India, he popped many supplements, he exercised in the gym regularly, he did charity through associations, he was pursuing doctorate. He was a very wise in the world’s view. My dear friend passed away almost 2 years ago when he was only 38 from heart failure. Another guy, I read on his blog (www.upekah.blogspot.com) says he thinks he is still alive today from colon cancer because of Gerzhen Therapy. He has been amazingly very disciplined. Try juicing 13 glasses of fruit juice a day and still eat your meals and get some sleep! Amazing! He is doing very well and you can go to his blog if you want to follow Gerzhen therapy because he shows you in detail where and how to do it.

I used to think that if anyone is as wise as them and seemingly happy, then why would they need a personal God? They have found their “way” and are perfectly happy.

It got me thinking yesterday as I emailed out my guide to what I ate to my friend. I mean there is wisdom in eating good nutritious food. There is no doubt about that but to take God out of the equation is trouble for God says in Isaiah 40:23 that He “brings princes to naught, and makes the rulers of the earth as nothing. Scarcely are they planted, scarcely sown, scarcely has their stem taken root in the earth, when he blows upon them, and they wither, and the tempest carries them off like stubble.”

These are princes and rulers of the world, what more we mere citizens who think we are wise!

And God continues in Isaiah 40:25-26:
“To whom then will you compare me, or who is my equal? says the Holy One. Lift up your eyes on high and see: Who created these? He who brings out their host and numbers them, calling them all by name;because he is great in strength, mighty in power, not one is missing.”

Our personal God cannot be compared and definitely not to human wisdom. He is mighty in power and strength and He knows and cares for each one of us and He is the One in control.

I cringe at what post modernism and new age has brought into the world. It has taken people away from even believing in the existence of God (they are god themselves) or even in the existence of themselves! And even if God exist, they say he is evil.

But the bible says differently and I have experienced Him personally. Though I did not have the wisdom of my colleagues or the man in “upekah”, yet because I love and acknowledged God first, He rescued me and protected me (Psalm 91).

I now realize that that if you are wise EVEN without God, there will be times you will be able to overcome trials. It is like the universal concept of sowing and reaping. That’s why karma works to a certain extent! See, no difference between christians and non believers to a certain extent!

Yesterday, I watched this man on “Miami Ink”, how he overcame manic depression and suicide and he wanted a tattoo of a skull biting a cobra to remind him of his victory. I thought it looked like a dead man biting the devil but he said the skull reminded him of his mortality. Interesting.

Ultimately, the bible says we are like grass that withers and can be blown away for God is in control. If you are with God, it is even more awesome like King Solomon who loved God. Because God is the One guiding you and not on our own strength. He makes it all stress free (as in we rest in Him), He brings the nutrition, the strategy for chemo, the friends, the family and finances in. Some say it is because I am young or Henry has the finances or nutrition or that somehow things all worked together for me. That “somehow” is GOD who pulled everything together.

I watched painfully how History Channel on 555 discussed in detail from a military perspective how Moses led the people out of Egypt. They took God out of the picture. They said it wasn’t God in the fire. It was an old Egyptian technique. And the cloud in the day was some smoke technique. Then they credited the victory to Moses’ vast knowledge of the dessert terrain even in the dark. Apparently, strategically, he deceived the Egyptians by putting the fire behind the Israelites and in the darkness he led 25,000 towards the sea before he parted it. Oh, and they credited the parting of the sea to Moses’ great knowledge of the area right down to when the tide was going out as the wind blew. Then, FINALLY, they admitted that even through it all, if you put it all together, the knowledge, the timing of the tide, having to lead 25,000 men in darkness to go in one direction is a MIRACLE ITSELF!

That “military strategy” was GOD’s hand upon them who pulled everything together!

The following verse is special to me because as I sought God, He gave me Henry. It was our wedding scripture verse. And as I sought Him again recently, He pulled me out of the pit and gave me life. Praise God through whom all blessings flow! Praise God indeed!

Matthew 6:33
“But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.”

1 comment: