Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Streaked, Speckled or Spotted

This morning's devotion was interesting. As I read the bible on Genesis 28 to 31, I came across Jacob's experience raising speckled, streaked and spotted sheep from Uncle Laban's flock. It was part of their deal that Jacob could have all the speckled, streaked and spotted sheep as his wages. So interested was I, I started drawing Jacob's strategy in increasing his own flock size.

Jacob made Laban's unblemished flocks mate in front of freshly cut branches (which he then made white stripes on them by peeling the bark) in water troughs where the flock came to drink. And they bore young that was streaked, speckled or spotted (Genesis 30:37-39).

I asked God "How did Jacob get this amazing idea to put striped branches in front of the mating flock?".  It was like having fixed deposit and trying to increase what you have from uncertain deposit rates!

It took me awhile to figure out that the answer was in the next chapter, Genesis 31:10-12
 
"One time during the mating season, I had a dream and saw that the male goats mating with the females were streaked, speckled, and spotted. Then in my dream, the angel of God said to me, ‘Jacob!’ And I replied, ‘Yes, here I am.’.  The angel said, ‘Look up, and you will see that only the streaked, speckled, and spotted males are mating with the females of your flock. For I have seen how Laban has treated you."

He received the idea from God in a dream. There is actually a lot to learn from these few chapters and I discovered a good explanation in the following website. Even the questions he asked at the end of it seem so apt to us who are in the world.
 
http://www.unionchurch.com/archive/091999.html

But the lesson I learned from this is to continue to hear from God and follow His ways. I get many comments from people who tell me they can't hear from God. I used to be one of them. I thought gone are the days where God speaks like a loud speaker, burning bush and all. Just persevere and spend that quiet moment with him. Earlier even into the first week of this journey I saw the words 'fast' and 'Henry' which led to God choosing the tarceva strategy for us. I saw it even though I had only started to read the bible again. So, just persevere. It is only through hearing God through the spirit that great things happen like for Jacob.

My cry to God this morning was for Him not to let me go, that I continue to hear him loud and clear. It is so much easier these days. I remember I asked Hamir how he did it. I was so amazed. During the recent prayer advance, we prayed in groups of 5. I saw the word 'shipwreck' and visually I saw choppy sea but then the word 'calm' came. I told the lady I was praying for what I saw and she kept nodding her head. I was actually afraid to tell her what I saw but it was pretty clear. Later she came up to me to say I was right about that shipwreck but it has passed. But to her it was a confirmation from God to her about something. Praise God! I don't understand the things from God but He has his ways and His ways are sure better than our ways. Oh, I pray come January, I still hear him loud and clear. I pray for all my friends in PBC who are in a dry season that they will persevere and stay close to God and listen to Him through the spirit for He  will show them great and mighty things. In Jesus name I pray. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. The story of Jacob is very amazing. It is interesting to note that the wisdom and the power to create wealth was given to him in a dream and he acted on what he saw and became exceedingly prosperous! I believe God speaks to us in dreams, pay attention to your dreams - you will discover wisdom keys and nuggets that will cause you to be blessed.

    ReplyDelete