Monday, April 19, 2010

Thank You Gideons

The Gideons came over to my church last Sunday to give their testimony of how the bibles distributed to hotels, schools, hospitals etc have touched the lives of people who have been in contact with “the little red book”. You can read more about them in http://www.gideons.org/ChangedLivesVideo.aspx?source=video_elliot (read Elliot’s testimony)

When I pray (and when I remember), there is a list of names that I thank God for their salvation knowing that one day, these people will know the saving grace of our Lord Jesus Christ. One of them is Henry’s mum and you have heard how Nic has also been trying to share Christ with his “ah ma”. So, I was rejoicing in my heart when I found out that Gideons made their rounds in Nic’s Chinese school yesterday. They distributed Chinese bibles to the parents who were there and Nic’s ah ma was there to receive it. Praise the Lord! Now, I will pray that she will be touched by the holy spirit to read the bible.

While reading about the fourteen kings in 2 Chronicles, I read about King Josiah. He did what was right in the eyes of the Lord. He tore down the idols – Asherah poles, carved idols, cast images, baals. He also directed the repairs and restoration of the temple of God during which time a priest found the Book of the Law of the Lord that had been given to Moses.

The following part really spoke to me. In 2 Chronicles 34:18-21, it is written:

Shaphan also told the king, “Hilkiah the priest has given me a scroll.” So Shaphan read it to the king. When the king heard what was written in the Law, he tore his clothes in despair. Then he gave these orders to Hilkiah…: “Go to the Temple and speak to the Lord for me and for all the remnant of Israel and Judah. Inquire about the words written in the scroll that has been found. For the Lord’s great anger has been poured out on us because our ancestors have not obeyed the word of the Lord. We have not been doing everything this scroll says we must do.”

I believe King Josiah tore his clothes in despair because “the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart” (Hebrews 4:12). Likewise, I pray the same for Henry’s mum.

What the Gideons shared was most interesting about a lady that had drinking problems and noticed the little red book by her table side in the hospital. She was irritated by it. But one night when she could not take it any longer, she opened the bible and knelt down to pray and fell asleep on the opened page not ever reading it. Just like that the holy spirit came upon her and she started sharing about Jesus the next day with people at the hospital. The doctors thought that she was in a drunken stupor but was tested negative.

I believe when she humbled herself before the Lord and cried out to Him, God must have revealed himself to her in a dream. God works in many ways. I can already see Him at work with Henry’s mum. Praise the Lord! Thank you Gideon for helping to spread God’s word!

No comments:

Post a Comment