Monday, May 31, 2010

Sing Psalms

1 Corinthians 14:26
“…When you come together, everyone has a hymn, or a word of instruction, a revelation, a tongue or an interpretation. All of these must be done for the strengthening of the church.”

How wonderful that just after I blogged about “Ethan begins to share Christ & Praising God ” yesterday, Deeper Life Seminar had also touched on the “Psalmist Ministry” last night. The Holy Spirit seem to help me to pull the truths together. Just recently, it was about heaven and now it is about praising God.

Ps Gerry explained that the psalms written by David were normally sung accompanied by instruments. In fact, it was King David who revived the Levitical ministry. Imagine King David singing his song of thanksgiving (1 Chronicles 16). The Levites, priests who minister at the tabernacle day and night, were also musicians! They played cymbals, harps, lyres and trumpets while singing “He is good; his love endures forever.” (2 Chronicles 5:12-13).

Can’t imagine? Well, last night, we were asked to sing the “song of the lamb” in Revelations 15:3,4. Any of us who received any prompting were to just start singing.

“Great and marvelous are your deeds,
Lord God Almighty.
Just and true are your ways,
King of the ages.
Who will not fear you, O Lord,
and bring glory to your name?
For you alone are holy.
All nations will come
and worship before you,
for your righteous acts have been revealed.”

Although I had previous fears, I was the first to start singing the above after Elaine nudged me. I was surprised that I did not tremble. Don’t ask me what the tune is like now! Praise God! It reminded me of my days in kindergarden when my teacher encouraged us to go to the front to sing any song. I did but after I sang (I think it was some garbage I made up) everyone was just staring at me and I was asked to sit down. Sigh. Thankfully, Ps Gerry encouraged all of us to just sing unto the Lord. It does not matter whether we have good voices or not. Tonight, I hear there will be another round of singing David’s song of thanksgiving from 1 Chronicles 16. We will be just singing from our hearts how ever the holy spirit guides us.

Won’t you try it today too on your own? As you seek out these songs in the book of Psalms and Revelations, you will find that people before us have already made tunes out of these songs which we are singing today in churches!

1 Corinthians 14:15
“So what shall I do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will also pray with my mind; I will sing with my spirit, but I will also sing with my mind.”

No comments:

Post a Comment