Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Update: Rejecting Low Blood Pressure

Interestingly, Boys Brigade had a free blood test and blood pressure test last Saturday at FBC, Subang. They did not know my history of course. Blood test was normal at 5.1. Praise the Lord! But the blood pressure was considered low at 111/70. I googled this morning and found that it is actually normal. Haiya! All the fretting. At least, I tried not to fret and just rejected the results in Jesus’ name!

I asked the advisor for his opinion on some source of iron from natural food and he mentioned sardines and “ikan bilis” (anchovies). Oh dear, I am not suppose to take fish at least I only limit it to cod fish and that's only once in a few weeks.I do realize that a meatless diet can lead to some missing nutrients so I do try to eat all types of vegetables, fruits, grains and also have beans, seeds and nuts in my diet as well. Last week, I broke the rule and had a can of sardines with Henry and an egg. Then, I started exploring iron source from other food and discovered quite a big variety such as:

Beet root, watercress, chick peas, bran flakes, spinach, beans, muesli, molasses, dried figs, dried apricots, avocado, asparagus and many more…

By the way, Henry had normal readings for both which the advisor was most impressed for Henry's age. I think he can't help but eat better food since we have a large variety of fruits and vegetable around everyday compared to only one or two types of vege in the fridge per week previously!

I am so glad that the reading is considered normal but will concentrate on eating iron rich food anyway. Tonight, I think I will have watercress soup and beet root salad! :)

Beet root salad

beetroot
iceberg lettuce

For the dressing:
fresh lemon juice
olive oil
mustard
Salt and pepper

Method
Whisk lemon, oil and mustard and season. Wash and trim lettuce, quarter and pull apart, tearing into pieces and dropping into a large bowl. Peel the beetroots and chop into chunks, and add to the lettuce. Dress the salad with the dressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment