Saturday, January 22, 2011

Facing cancer need not be lonely

Facing cancer need not be lonely. However, first you ought to acknowledge that there is a Creator of heaven and earth. Then, everything you have learned in partiality will fall into place. Then, you don't have to pretend you are living in an unreal world like in Matrix or Inception. Then, you understand why human life is sacred, why humans want justice (eg 9-11) why there is good and evil. Then, you will know we are not alone but there is a spiritual realm out there of angels and demons. Then, you will make sense of the enemy who wants to rule the world and destroy the world and is played out in power rangers and all super hero shows. You will understand why humans make sacrifices and why blood is so important. Then, you will see the Creator reconciling all humankind back to Him and how His hand has been upon human history and still playing out and the bible is not just stories or good teaching.  Then, you will see the heart of God and how He planned from the beginning to save us through Jesus even way before He created humans. And when those who love Him are finally with Him, He will ultimately lock away forever the devil and all those who reject Him.

Then you will know the mind of the enemy out to deceive the world and giving us half truths and always taking God out of the equation!

Anita and I met YS (who was diagnosed with colon cancer and a second blow of tumor in uterus) recently to encourage her and to hopefully share Jesus with her. YS showed me a book written by a monk who wrote how we should not treat cancer like an angry eating demon but instead treat it like a normal cell that had gone haywire and pacify it and nurse it back to good health. It suddenly hit me that no wonder some people choose to own their cancer and call it "my cancer". I explained to her that Christians don't do that, they do not need to own the cancer as Jesus bore all our sicknesses and sins on the cross 2000 years ago and we need not bear it anymore! Instead, a beautiful exchange took place on the cross where the powers of the enemy was broken and Jesus came to give us good health and as a child of God we have a right to good health! We just need to receive it!

I was quite disturbed after that, to think that if YS were to own the cancer it is like opening the door to the enemy to do more damage in her. I would just reject the cancer in Jesus' name!

That night, amazingly God showed me the answer to the lie of the devil in Proverbs 16:7

"When a man's ways are pleasing to the LORD,
         He makes even his enemies to be at peace with him."

See, how truth is distorted? See how the monk's logical conclusion was watered down to half a truth where even cancer can be made at peace with a person.

The truth is when a man's way is pleasing to God, even cancer can be made at peace with him. Let us not take God out of the equation. That night, God showed me scripture that aligned me back to His truth. Praise the Lord!

Today, I read in the Star newspaper about "the power of the mind" by Christina Grant. Many times, people tell me to have a positive mind or they say I have a positive mind. I am not complimented because if I had a positive mind, I would be doing what Christina Grant proposes or what the world proposes which is partial truth and hard work!

Instead, I choose to believe what God says about me.
Amos 3:3 "Do two walk together unless they be agreed?" Unless, I agree what God says about me, how can healing flow to me? Let's go through some of what Christina said and I can show you that God says the same about me and more because He is in control, he is fighting this battle for me.

"The first step is to have an ongoing practice of noticing and managing your thoughts. This isn’t easy to do if you’re addicted to the television culture, where mass media sends a never ending stream of negative concepts into your brain. Or, if you like to get online and read the daily headlines followed by stories of horrific occurrences around the world." (Christina Grant)

Unlike the new age meditation of emptying our minds, I would rather fill my mind with God's words because there is power in His words. I like to say Psalm 63 over and over again and feel his strength.

 6 On my bed I remember you; 
   I think of you through the watches of the night. 
7 Because you are my help, 
   I sing in the shadow of your wings. 
8 I cling to you; 
   your right hand upholds me.

Or psalm 18
 1 I love you, Lord;
      you are my strength.
 2 The Lord is my rock, my fortress, and my savior;
      my God is my rock, in whom I find protection.
   He is my shield, the power that saves me,
      and my place of safety.
 3 I called on the Lord, who is worthy of praise,
      and he saved me from my enemies.
 

Christina continues "Or, if you like to “trauma share” with friends and colleagues about the annoying things that happen to you. "

Precisely, if you keep talking about "my cancer" it would really belong to you and it will never go away. Stop talking, stop thinking about it as if it is yours. Even Henry's claim that the cancer is like the dried up dust blown away when he saw the dandelion can be matched to the bible:

Psalm 18

42 I pulverize them like dust before the wind; 
    I trample them like mud in the streets. 

More from Christina, "In the case of serious physical illness, we might find ourselves in a doctor’s office listening to negative possibilities and statistics that don’t sound promising. Because we are susceptible to these predictions, we often believe the bad news and accept it as fact when it isn’t. This can hinder the ability to heal because the mind is powerful enough to create what it believes. "

That is why when I receive a medical report that is against what God says about me and all he has shown me, I just reject in in Jesus' name. It has no power no dominion over me. What God says about me is greater than what the medical report says. The bible says that no weapon ( no cancer) formed against us shall prosper for this is our heritage in Him and we are to cast down all arguments that set itself up against God's words.

2 Corinthians 10:5

"5 We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ."

Similarly, we need not be lonely facing cancer if we truly believe that we are a child of God. Even when things go wrong, we can be assured that we fall back into God's arms and his right hand is always upon us and will deliver us from all our troubles. For the bible says, nothing can separate us from the love of God...not even cancer.

"38 For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, 39 neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord."

So, it all starts with acknowledging our Creator, the maker of heaven and earth. He will never leave us nor forsake us. Open your heart to Him and He will fill your heart with His love, His life, His spirit that will quicken your mortal body and bring you out of darkness and give you His peace, His love, His joy. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment